Monday, December 2, 2013

Review of: The Holdout by Laurel Osterkamp


Description and picture from Goodreads

DESCRIPTION:  Robin wanted to win The Holdout, a cutthroat reality TV show, so she gave it her all, challenge after challenge. Then she fell for Grant, with his irresistible eyes and heartbreaking life story. But Grant was only using Robin as they competed for a million dollars. Once home, Robin wants to hide from the humiliation as episodes of The Holdout are aired, and she worries her family was right all along; she's not a survivor. Or maybe she'll have the last laugh Besides, Robin now has jury duty. And as she forges ahead, confronting her demons about bravery, justice, and romance, Robin will come to decide which is more important: the courage to stand alone, or the strength to love again. 


My Review / Thoughts:

I liked this book OK, but the "Holdout" was just "Survivor" with names changed.  If you like Survivor you will probably like this book.  It's a good thing I am a Survivor fan.  I don't think the idea of the book is very unique, but it was fun to read.


There are two stories going on at the same time, and I really enjoyed that.  It was fun to see how her "game" life interfered with here "real" life.  She had been humiliated on national television, and in the mean time had to try and go on with her normal life.

Since I am a huge Survivor fan, I just laugh over and over at the thought of someone putting their love life out there for the whole world to see, or in this case read :).  Then, to be surprised by the outcome.  It just amuses me.  

I think the back story that goes on during Robin's time on the Jury is my favorite part of the book.    While serving she has the opportunity to meet people from different walks of life that she probably wouldn't have associated with before hand, and in so doing a budding romance forms.  I love stories that involve an "opposites attract" kind of situation.  Those are my favorite.  

Nick or 10 as Robin calls him is my favorite character in the book.  You can tell he's a good guy even if he seems stand offish at the beginning.

Grant from the TV show is definitely my least favorite character, but he is one of those characters you love to hate.

I would probably recommend this book if you are in the mood for a light, fast read.  I liked the book, but wasn't blown away by the book.  

My Rating:



source:  I was given this book to read in return for an honest review.  I was not compensated in any way for this review, and these are my PERSONAL thoughts on the book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving this one a try! I liked seeing kind of the 'inside' scoop of what it might be like and really liked seeing how she dealt with things. I'm with you on Grant being someone you love to hate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry this one wasn't better. I have never been a Survivor fan so I don't think I will give this one a try.

    Nice honest review though!!

    ReplyDelete