Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Review of UnWholly (Unwind Dystology #2) by Neal Shusterman


Picture and description from Goodreads

Thanks to Connor, Lev, and Risa—and their high-profile revolt at Happy Jack Harvest Camp—people can no longer turn a blind eye to unwinding. Ridding society of troublesome teens while simultaneously providing much-needed tissues for transplant might be convenient, but its morality has finally been brought into question. However, unwinding has become big business, and there are powerful political and corporate interests that want to see it not only continue, but also expand to the unwinding of prisoners and the impoverished.

Cam is a product of unwinding; made entirely out of the parts of other unwinds, he is a teen who does not technically exist. A futuristic Frankenstein, Cam struggles with a search for identity and meaning and wonders if a rewound being can have a soul. And when the actions of a sadistic bounty hunter cause Cam’s fate to become inextricably bound with the fates of Connor, Risa, and Lev, he’ll have to question humanity itself.

Rife with action and suspense, this riveting companion to the perennially popular Unwind challenges assumptions about where life begins and ends—and what it means to live.

My Thoughts / Review:

I still love Connor, Lev and Risa, yet each one of them takes a different direction in this book that leaves me really anticipating the next installment.  We are introduced to Cam as well, and I do have to say that his character is extremely interesting, a Frankenstein of sorts.   The whole thought about being "unwound" is so disturbing.  

There are "adds" in the book that really made me laugh.  The adds are why the people should want "unwinding" to continue and they are just plain funny.  They may not have planned them to make people laugh, but they did.  Every time one came up I just got a chuckle.

Lev really becomes one of my favorite characters in this book.  His life really stinks, and in this book I was hopeful that it would get better, but unfortunately he is faced with more trials and confronted with more death.  He always seems so distant, when talking to people.  Although everything he has been through it's very understandable.

Risa actually makes me really mad in this book!  I don't want to give anything away, but she ends up making some choices that made me want to scream.  I still love her, but she makes some really stupid choices in this book.  She doesn't have much of a choice, I just was surprised.

Connor I think just gets the raw end of the deal all the time.  He strives to serve the people of the unwind camp, and yet he still finds opposition amongst his peers.  It frustrates me that he is only trying to help, and others find a reason to cause rife in the group.   I am anxious to see what happens to the group now in the next installment!

I really loved this book.  I hate  to compare it to Hunger Games but I only do because the concept of unwinding is so disturbing.  A lot like fighting each other to the death.  It's one of those situations that I cannot tear myself away from.  This book if fantastic.  I loved it from the beginning to the end.  I am anxious to start the last book.  

If you haven't read this series you should add it to your list, it really is very interesting.  It's intense, exciting, and there's a love story to boot.  

My Rating:  5 out of 5 hearts!


Source:  I bought this book on Itunes.  I am not affiliated with Itunes in any way, and this is my PERSONAL review and thoughts.



3 comments:

  1. Tthat cover is a little creepy!

    Glad you loved this one so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole concept of the book is creepy! Probably why I liked it so much ;-). It's different.

      Delete
  2. Unwind was good, but UnWholly was just so much better! I loved the fact that Shusterman introduced new characters instead of confining the story to the point of view of the old ones.
    Here's the full review on my blog! :)
    http://geekie-chic.blogspot.in/2014/02/unwholly-unwind-dystology-2-by-neal.html

    ReplyDelete