Saturday, July 26, 2014

THE BREAKAWAY BY MICHELLE D. ARGYLE - REVIEW

12962066
pic and description taken from Goodreads

Description:

When Naomi Jensen is kidnapped, it takes her parents two days to realize she's missing. Escape isn't high on her list of priorities when all she has to return to is an abusive boyfriend and parents who never paid much attention to her. For the first time in her life she's part of a family-even if it is a family of criminals. But she's still a captive. In a desperate attempt to regain some control in her life, Naomi embarks on a dangerous plan to make one of her kidnappers think she's falling in love with him. The plan works too well, and when faced with the chance to escape, Naomi isn't sure she wants to take it.


My Review / Thoughts:

First off I am going to put a definition here : 

Stockholm syndrome

noun Psychiatry.
an emotional attachment to a captor formed by a hostage as a result of continuous stressdependence,and a need to cooperate for survival.
Origin: 
 after an incident in Stockholm in 1973, during which a bank employee became romantically attached to arobber who held her hostage
(super creepy syndrome)!!!!

Holy cow....This book was so fantastic.  It kept me engaged from the beginning till the end, and I cannot finish the second one fast enough.  I bought this on iTunes, and my daughter, niece and started listening to this book while I was driving.  When we were on out way home we almost finished it, and I had to come home and listen to the rest right away.

I have heard of Stockholm Syndrome, but listening to a story about it creeped me out.  I was constantly yelling at the book saying "girl get your head on straight"!  hehe.  It was so dark and twisty I loved it.

Naomi is kidnapped one night while walking home from her boyfriends house.  When she wakes her captures try to find out what she saw that night when she knew when she was walking through the park.  

Naomi is a character that makes my heart brake.  She feels like her parents don't care about her.  She had a boyfriend that is my WORST nightmare as a mother.  I am telling you, if my daughters boyfriend ever hit her, I would literally have to be restrained from causing bodily harm back.  She just had a rough life.  

At first I thought it was all her bad attitude until she got captured.  Then you come to realize how alone she was in in her family.  She was an only child but felt as though her parents could care less about her.  It was so sad.

Naomi's captured treated her well, most of the time, and this is when it gets super creepy for me.  I cannot ever imagine falling in love with someone who took me.  I guess when you live that way for a while, you become familiar with your captures.  Still I scared me.....I am a mother, and this book scared me.  I really loved this book.

I have a love/hate relationship with the ending :).....heheheh  I CANNNNNNOT wait to read the second book.  

My ONLY complaint about this book was the narrator.  I feel that this book was a highly emotional book, with some seriously intense scenes, but the narrator never sounded like she was trying to make the kidnapping, and other things "real".  She was a little too nonchalant in her reading.  Very monotone.  Having said that, the story itself kept me listening.  It was such an interesting book!!!!  

Michelle D. Argyle is an amazing writer.  She pulled me in right away.  Argyles writing is beautiful.  How she came up with this idea is beyond me.  I have a daughter going to college soon, and now I REALLY don't want her to leave ;).  This was my first Michelle D. Argyle book, but I have already bought the second book, and then just purchased If I Forget You, and Cinders  by Argyle.  I cannot wait to read them all! FYI, as of this moment Cinders is free on Amazon.  You should pick it up!

Source:  I bought this book for myself on iTunes.  I am not affiliated with iTunes in any way, and was not compensated for this review.  These are my own PERSONAL thoughts on the book.

My Rating:

It totally would have been 5, but I just couldn't stand the narrator. (p.s. I am probably going to feel really bad about this if it's someone she knows....if so sorry ;)

Where To Buy:



About the Awesome Author:

Michelle D. Argyle
pic and bio taken from Goodreads

Michelle lives and writes in Utah, surrounded by the Rocky Mountains. She adores cheese, chocolate, sushi, and lots of ethnic food, and loves to read and write books in the time she grabs between her sword-wielding husband and energetic daughter. She believes a simple life is the best life. Michelle writes contemporary Young Adult and New Adult fiction (and other genres when she feels up to it).

7 comments:

  1. Oh gosh this sounds like it was an emotional and maybe even a slightly hard read but one that was well worth it to take.

    Great review Becca!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it was. The whole stockholm syndrome is creeeeepy! It was fantastic!

      Delete
  2. Even the parts I heard were totally creepy. Those people are MESSED up. This was a gripping novel, and even though I only heard a bit of the book, I agree about the narrator. Wonderful review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! Now you just need to finish it :)

      Delete
  3. Great review! I'll have to add this one to my tbr. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could return the favor....hehehe! I am on the second one now, and It's great so far!

      Delete
  4. Ahhh -- kidnapping stories are so disturbing to me, so I will probably pass on this, but glad you enjoyed it so much!!
    Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete